This content originally appeared on July 8, 2021 as part of the Future of Marketing weekly email series. Subscribe here.
Welcome to Future of Marketing.
Each week, we send you the most relevant trends, resources, and strategies in social and user-generated content (UGC) from leading marketers and brands around the globe.
Today, we’re discussing…
- Marketing predictions
- Your best influencers are closer than you think
- #BrandCrush: Coca-Cola Australia 💘
According to CEO, Adam Mosseri, Instagram no longer wants to be known as a photo-sharing platform, and plans to experiment with video and in-feed recommendations from accounts you don’t follow (similar to TikTok).
Why the brusque change, you ask?
Jack Butcher, Creator of Visualize Value, said it best:
People go on social media to unwind – not get plastered with irrelevant ads and self-promotional posts. Humans crave entertainment, connection, authentic experiences… and it’s up to brands to fit in.
- More focus on sustainability, inclusivity, and thoughtful experiences
- Balancing branded content with user- and employee-generated content
- Short-form video and audio spaces will continue to rise (and so will the need for accessibility)
- Social media will get a seat at the table, and become recognized as a gold mine for consumer insights
- As hybrid experiences increase, so will demand for omnichannel activations
- Revenge travel will push brands to focus on long-term brand- and community-building
Have a prediction we didn’t mention above?
Reply to this email or DM us @TheFutureOfMktg for a chance to have your prediction(s) featured on our channels.
Your best influencers are closer than you think
Micro- and nano-influencers have been making headlines lately – and for good reason.
Mobile devices and social media platforms like TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube have given anyone the ability to create content right at their fingertips. Additionally, the smaller the following, the easier it is for users to comment and engage their audience – which sparks a connection and carries over to the brands they love and share.
Not to mention, they are less likely to be compensated for posting (and more likely to be trusted for what they are sharing).
HINT: Your best influencers are right under your nose. They’re your customers, fans, and team.
What we’re learning
- How social listening builds brand trust
- Need inspiration for Instagram stories?
- Marketers are quitting their jobs – why the industry should prepare for an exodus
- 5 things brands should know to prepare for the Olympics
- The most popular bucket list travel experiences in the world
- Here’s why brand purpose might not be for you
#BrandCrush: Coca-Cola Australia
Each week in #BrandCrush, we highlight exceptional brands that are channeling their customers’ voice to connect more authentically with their audience.
With the 2021 Olympics around the corner, it felt appropriate to dig into the history books for UGC campaigns from past Olympic games.
Cue Coca-Cola Australia, an official sponsor of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
During the two-week campaign, Coca-Cola identified over 35 #ThatsGold moments to elevate their message using real stories by real people.
Coca-Cola AU selected seven videos to repurpose for their social channels (mainly focusing on Facebook), and brought the campaign to life through global television commercials (TVCs) and out-of-home campaigns
The results? Over 1.5 million views, 12,000 organic engagements, and a 200% increase in performance over non-UGC content posted during the same period.