Welcome back to Future of Marketing!
We’re kicking off the year with the launch of our annual State of Social & UGC report. Each year we survey marketers and consumers to bring you unique insights.
Here are the 8 big trends (and predictions) to watch in 2023 👇🏼
Over the next few weeks, we’ll break down each theme and see what top marketers are doing to crush their goals this year. Let’s do this!
1. More investments in video (and audio)
Seventy-nine percent (79%) of marketers are investing in video in 2023, so expect to see more brands building their presence across video-friendly platforms like YouTube, TikTok, and Instagram.
2. Social media as a search engine
Nearly seventy-eight percent (78%) of consumers have used social media to search for or discover products, brands, and experiences.
Hashtags aren’t dead! The more shoppable social media becomes, the more important your hashtags and keywords are.
3. ROI is expected (but it’s complicated)
Did you know eighty-two percent (82%) of marketers don’t always measure content performance across their marketing channels?
Social is a fast-evolving space and teams need to be given the license to be nimble, to test and iterate tactics, but never lose sight of the objectives.Melanie Gaboriault, Global Head of Corporate Communications, Hootsuite
🔮 Prediction: More brand investments in A.I. and Machine Learning tools that allow teams to outsource tasks and measure every step of the customer journey – and across every marketing channel.
4. UGC is the most trustworthy content
- Seventy-five percent (75%) of consumers claim they know when they are being advertised to.
- Most marketers and consumers rank Authentic User-Generated Content (UGC) as the most trustworthy content – while Staged UGC is the least.
- Increased investments in UGC as marketing budgets take a backseat. Hint: UGC is a great way to boost engagement and share social proof (while minimizing expenses).
- As the creator economy and social media evolve, staged user-generated content may become more prevalent. This will make it increasingly important for consumers to differentiate Authentic vs. Staged UGC – and for marketers to understand how each one influences the marketing funnel.
5. Too much content, so little time
Over thirty-five percent (35%) of 2023 marketing budgets did not change and nearly thirty-five percent (36%) of 2023 marketing budgets were decreased.
🔮 Prediction: More investments across user-generated content and artificial intelligence in 2023. Marketers are going to need all the help they can get!
6. Influencers vs. Creators – there is a difference.
Over sixty-five percent (65%) of consumers and seventy-two percent (72%) of marketers agree there is a difference between influencers and creators.
The verdict: Influencers require an audience. Creators don’t.
The line between what is and isn’t an ad is blurred, and leveraging authentic brand ambassadors for any type of marketing campaign is a key cornerstone for success.Elise Yu Global, Marketing Manager, Klear
7. Stock photography is out. UGC is in.
Eighty percent (80%) of consumers prefer seeing photos of real customers over stock photos.
Instead of plastering the same stock images we’ve all seen before, ask your customers and team to submit photos and their experiences with your brand – and reshare that across your marketing channels.
🔮 Prediction: In 2023, we’ll see more brands highlighting the voice of their biggest fans across every touchpoint.
8. More Ratings and Reviews? Yes, Please!
Eighty percent (80%) of consumers look at ratings and reviews before making a purchase.
🔮 Prediction: UGC is a great way to showcase the experience people have with your brand. In 2023, we’ll see more brands implementing creative strategies to encourage customers to leave ratings and reviews.